Date : 05th Feb 2014
Examiner: Simon Allitson,
Time : 0900 hrs till 1010
Result : PASSED - First attempt
- Was placed on a new building, OSV, and was asked for all the required preparations to get the vessel ready for sailing on a passage from Italy to Brazil
- What do I expect to see in Chief Engineers standing orders.
- New certificate required by crew members re ISPS
- Master's ISM review, How and why done.
- How does ISM work on board your ships
- Marpol Annex 1 discharging criteria for engine room bilges in and outside special areas
- How would I check Ch engineer's entries in ORB, Actions if discrepancies are found
- Precautions during your voyage, what would you expect to find. He was looking for TRS
- TRS Southern Hemisphere, was asked to sketch it and how to manoeuvre in both sectors
- Heavy weather damage, wheelhouse windows broken, water ingress in wheelhouse. What will you do
- Mentioned temporary repairs for the above situation, and led me to say to proceed for port of refuge
- Define port of refuge, what surveys to redo to get your vessel back in class and sail out.
- No Class surveyor available. Actions
- Port of refuge is non ISPS Compliant, actions and precautions.
- ACS, what surveys are carried out by MCA / class
- Contents of DOS, when should it be exchanged
- Security measures in port. What will you do if the hours of rest are compromised. (said will employ security from shore)
- 2nd officer being bullied by Chief Officer. Actions ( Led into Merchant Navy Code of Conduct)
- Gross misconduct examples
- Chief officer discharged because he is causing too much problems on board. How to go about sailing with one member short.
- Legal way to go about sacking your Chief Officer.
- Explain in your own words, giving examples, Rule 2
- Put me in TSS and asked can rule 9 apply in tss
- Define Impeding passage and safe passage giving examples
- Gave me 3 situations in a TSS, quite straight forward
- When can you use a separation zone.
- Radar plotting 2 plots ( all magnets he used were black except for the W, and asked him to clarify)
- Smarty board: F/V stopped with gear extending, V/l less than 50 mtrs aground, CBD, Tug pushing ahead less than 50mtrs as seen fm stbd side.
- He wanted type, size, nav status, day signals, fog signals. Didn't ask for action.
- Bouyage, Safe water mark, Preferred channel Mark region B, Lateral mark (port) region A, New wreck marker bouy.
Basically that's all I can remember, hope this report will be of good use to future candidates. Wish you all the best of luck!