|Forum Home > Masters Orals > John Macleod - Offshore - March 2013|
MCA Glasgow (Shahid Akhther & M. Kaiser Ali)
26th March 2013 (09:15-10:25)
The first 10 mins were spent checking through my documents and talking about the Drillship I am currently working on.
All questions to be answered as the Master of a UK flagged vessel.
• What are the statutory certificates do you require to carry on board.
• What required ship/shore certificates and validities/audit requirements.
• How do you get a Interim SMC.
• How does MARPOL Annex 1 affect you.
• What Certificate had become compulsory in January 2012. ( I think he meant January 2013 )
• Alternative compliance scheme - How do you enter the scheme.
• What certificates are checked in Alternative compliance scheme.
• Crew agreement.
• What will be changing with MLC 2006.
• How would you Sign on board a Polish 3/0, 17 Year old Cadet and a AB.
• Hours of Rest for under 18 years.
• How would you advise your 2/0 with the use of ecdis.
• How can your ship go paperless.
• What considerations would you have for a voyage from Singapore to the Mediterranean through Suez Canal.
• Synoptic Chart - Wind Direction and Force in specific location.
• TRS - Wind Veering in Northern Hemisphere and what are your actions.
• Considerations for anchoring.
• Dragging anchor - What are your actions.
• Vessel aground from Dragging anchor – What are your actions.
• LOF2011 – Differences between the new and old form.
• Port of safety.
• Note Protest.
• You are about to load steel coils which are rusty – What are you actions.
• Difference between Note Protest and Letter of Protes.t
• Large steel work carried out during maintenance.
• Magnetic compass.
• Checks required prior to tentative swing.
• What Coefficient is on a Easterly heading - and how to correct it.
• Radar Plot – Plot v/l on the same Course and Speed.
• Radar Plot - Vessel Stbd quarter with a CPA 0nm, Vessel on Port Bow with a CPA 2nm – Action.
• What does Rule 19 say.
RULE OF THE ROAD
• TSS - You PDV and Portside CBD crossing.
• TSS - Fishing vessel Portside.
• TSS - Fishing vessel following traffic lane.
• TSS - PDV crossing Stbd side
• TSS - Vessel overtaking you on Stbd side and then go to cross the TSS from Stbd side
• Tug Tow Portside
• RAM Tug Tow Portside
• You CBD and RAM Portside
• V/L NUC seen from Astern or V/L Aground less than 50m
• F/V making way with outlaying gear 150m
Sorry I cannot remember any more questions from the Orals.
I would like to thank Captain Vinil Gupta from Glasgow Maritime Academy.
The Glasgow Maritime Academy is a fantastic college. The course was well structured with all lecturers going the extra mile in to make sure everybody was ready for their exam. I would recommend to anyone in the future to attend Glasgow Maritime Academy for orals preparations and any courses advertised.