Kedar Samant

1st attempt

Vessel Type : DSV

Masters Unlimited

Surveyor: Capt. Fletcher

Time : 1Hr 20 Min

Result : Pass

20.06.2013 @ 1500

1500 Capt. Fletcher took me inside looked through my Docs. Chatted about offshore & my trading areas for 7 to 10 minutes.

I told him that I have been working as a Mate on DSV for past 10 Years out of which last 7 years on the same vessel. Finished with my docs & I kept it aside, he said as your are standing lets walk to the magnetic compass.

How will you carry out a Tentative Swing?

He did not mention what type of vessel said all answers as per UK Flag.

Joining as a master what are your concerns?

How will you carry out an ISM Audit?

Now while taking rounds during audit you found 3/E Bunkering without Bunker C/L?

3/E says he is been a 3/E for 30 years and does not need to fill up the C/L?

Is it NC OR MNC? (NC…. As per MCA it is a MNC)

No w Actions? ( CAP & downgrade)

Is C/E Equally responsible? Disciplinary actions?

What standing orders will you leave for your officers?

I f your company had set standing orders, can you change them as a master? How?

When you were checking your vessel certs you found SMD SMC address is not matching?

Can you sail?

Who is responsible?

What other documents will you check other that ISSC? ( looking for CSR)

You find No 4 of CSR missing which was another flag actions?

Will you inform MCA?

New crew joining Indian AB, Bangladeshi 2/0 actions?

AB what other certs than STCW? ( He was looking for Proficiency in security Awareness training, I also told him about exemptions if 6 months sea time, Security Fam for all, he was happy and went on)

2/0 National COC actions?

What is CRA?

Is Bangladesh GOC valid? ( Said will check the list of approved countries)

He asked is there a M Notice on this? NO

Where will you find out? On MCA website.

Bangladesh not on list of approved countries, what will you do?

AB Eng 1 expired?

No approved doctors?

Can you sail?

No relief?

What areas will you look into for applying OF SMD?

Under what guidelines?

Newly joined Bangladeshi 2/0 has never worked on ECDIS, Actions?

How will you check that vessel is complying with Fresh waster requirements?

Where will you make the entries?

How will you carry out Ballast exchange, where?

In your case when no depth available in that trading area, How?

Your are on a Bulk carrier Sailing to New York From Glasgow, 2/0 reports to you heavy wx ahead, Actions?

Arrival New York What are your concerns?

What is difference between NOTE PROTEST & NOTE OF PROTEST?

Then what is extended notice of protest?

Now you are loading steel coils & you found they are rusted, who will you contact?

What else will P& I cover for?

Mate has put remarks on the Mate’s receipt, shipper is asking for clean BOL?

You owners are sending you a letter of indemnity & asking you to give clean BOL?

Now the P& I is also taking the responsibility in writing?

When all parties are agreeing, Why will you still not give a clean BOL?( PLEASE NOTE HE MADE ME CHANGE MY ANSWER ASSURING ALL LEGAL FORMALITIES ARE TAKEN CARE OF & WAS PUSHING ME TO CHANGE MY ANSWER TO YES)

Now under what professional judgment will you back up yourself? (I TOLD HIM WILL NOT COMMIT A FRUAD…THAT WAS IT)

Now let me put you on a tanker, a dirty looking women with shabby clothes is coming to you with a BOL, Will you release the cargo?

What is a seaway bill?

That was it, he got up and as he was walking towards the ROR buoys & Models he asked…

What is Emergency wreck marking buoy?

Identify following & gave a arrow/ How will you pass (kept changing the direction of arrow):

Port hand special mark

Special mark? Where is it used?

Stbd hand Lateral Mark Region B

Stbd hand Lateral Mark Region A

East Cardinal mark heading south? ( BE VERY CARE FUL OF EAST CARDINAL MARK AS IT APPEARS COMPLETELY BLACK WITH A VERY THIN YELLOW LINE, THAT TO AT THE BASE OF THE BUOY)

Situation: OPEN SEA

Own vessel PDV Fishing v/l crossing from stbd bow, he said you are in you cabin and you hear 5 short blasts and your phone rings, Action?

As soon as you are on the bridge what is the first thing you will do? I said Look out of the window and see the radar.

Will you take over con? No, I trust my officers, He said your 3/0 had taken the right action here by sounding 5 short blasts. I said no. I will ask him is this the only boat that is bothering him or is there anything astern overtaking or any other target nor visible on radar.

He said I am the 3/0 & I am telling you this is the only boat, Now what is your action? I took aver con immediately said will take action which will best aid to avoid collision.

He asked me can you go to Port? YES

What disciplinary action against the 3/0? I checked all the areas & sacked him as he was found incompetent.

The 3/0 is now apologizing for his mistake? Will you consider his request? No

Restricted vis:

THREE TARGETS AT A TIME: Asked what action each will take?

1ST stbd bow crossing with risk of collision( Alter co to stbd)

2nd same course & speed almost looked abeam w.r.t own v/s and vessel on stbd side. No risk of collision ( I clarified whether it is abeam, he initially did not say any thing, I eventually made him say yes they are abeam)( Alter co to port)

3rd Stdb quarter and overtaking ( Alter co to stbd)

Now what is your action, he smiled and said now that all are clear you don’t have to do any thing ?

I said I will slow down…….

He took my NOE & said I have PASSED.

( NO EMERGENCIES, NO SHIP HANDLING, NO SALVAGE, NO SMARTY BOARD)

He said as a Master will are looking for Management skills, Decision making & confidence.

After most of my answers he asked me are you sure & I would say YES OR NO? He made me change my answers to vise versa ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS but I stuck to them.

I thank Capt.Vinyl Gupta, Capt.Murdo for their training & guidance & whish their college all the students all the luck.

I thank my friend Aman, for all his support & Help.

I thank all those who have helped me & been with me in this successful journey & in future.

Wish you all the best..

July 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.