Colreg.net

colreg and so much more

Add/View Orals Feedback

Forum Home > Mates orals > Alexander Phimister - Chief Mates Orals With Kaiser Ali 4th September 2013 @ 1500

alexphimister

Chief Mates Orals with Kaiser Ali

Resit After 3 years – PASS 1hr 20mins

Vessel Types DP Derrick Crane heavy Lift/Pipelay Vessels

Arrived at 1430hrs waited until just after 1500hrs and was called into the room, usual chit chat about type of vessels, fire alarms and exits. Confirmyour date of birth and I am on a British flagged vessel as Chief Officer,Master is available if you wish to call him. Straight into it…..

Whatis ISM and how does it affect you and your company. Company’s responsibilities.

PMS how does it work on your vessel, Mentioned critical PMS in my answer, gave abrief explanation and he moved on.

Risk assessmentwhat is it, how do you carry it out. Explain to me how you would carry out arisk assessment for one of your vessels heavy lifts. At certain points throughthis he stopped me and would ask me to expand, for example I said inexperiencedpersonnel would wear different coloured hard hats and hi vis vests so they areclearly identifiable to the crane ops and others on deck” he stopped and askedwhy this was the case, I just said before our company policy states that anyonethat has been with the company less than 6 months is considered inexperienced,their space awareness might not be as good as other more experienced crew onthe vessel. So everyone can see them and keep an eye on them.

LOLLER& PUWER regs, what is my understanding of them, what is carried out, who carry’sit out. I went through all crane and loose gear testing, he asked whereeverything was recorded and what was issued by the competent person.

5 yearlyload test of lifeboats, how would you carry it out as chief officer. He askedwhat regulation this came under, I didn’t know the answer but said I presumedit was SOLAS (don’t know if that was right)

Howoften do you test lifeboats, weekly, monthly, 3monthly. Ask how often therescue boat was launched.

What areyour duties as chief officer? I didn’t mention Safety officer and he askedabout it, On my last vessel we have an independent safety department who carryout safety rounds of the vessel on daily basis to ensure that all persons aresafe with regards to work, just told him that any inspections carried out onthe areas where the chief officer was responsible the Ch. Off would be present.

ISPS –what is it, when do you exchange DOS, how do you obtain ISSC, how do you knowyour ISPS compliant

MLC –The works here, including certificates, what are the 5 main topics, what arethe reasons behind it.

MARPOLAnnex 1 – Discharge criteria in special area for machinery spaces. What aboutthe antartic can you discharge anything there NO NO NO NO!:-)

MarpolAnnex 5 – What has changed, I just told him nothing goes over the side anymoreand any water washes had to be non-marine pollutant etc etc. Asked me how garbagewas stored and collected on my vessel, just talked through about GMP andeverything is collected by supply boat and taken ashore.

Put meon a container vessel (I used to work for Maersk) I’m on the bridge and ABreports spill of DG on deck actions. Then DG fire, I didn’t mention reportingto shore, he asked what about shore reporting then I realised…..said about theHAZMAT reporting form in IMDG code then he moved on.

Safety Equipment survey how would I prepare myvessel as chief officer. I missed out Fire Alarm panel/detectors; he just askedwhat maintenance/inspections are carried out on the system.

Whatfixed fire fighting systems were on your last vessel, how were the crew trainedin the use of them…..joiners checklist and STM and carrying out drills.

Dry-dockingas mate in one month what information do you want from the dock and what dothey want from you. I mentioned report to MCA if the vessel is in ACS schemebut he didn’t bite the bait L

What isP force explain it to me J

Imentioned safe means of access in my dry-dock answer, he asked is a crane with personalbasket adequate NO!!!

Masterhas received a TRS warning; you are in the Atlantic at the time, what willhappen now? I went into SMS meeting and start company heavy weather checklist,ran through some checks on deck and he stopped me at freeing ports and scuppersasking why would  I check they wereclear, just explained FSE and he moved on.

On myvessel how do you calculate list, with a heavy weight (we do 3500t side lifts)you must have a huge list when lifting, I just explained the lift is done instages and we ensure the vessel is within 1.0 to 1.5 degrees at all times, inthe stability programme we calculate the list at worst case scenario.

ExplainRule 19 to me…..I didn’t get any rule 19 situations

Whatwas the safe speed on my last vessel, I then went through rule 6

Whatrules are used in restricted vis

Smarty board – Wanted what itwas, length, nav status and fog signal for all

NUCunderway but stopped – I answered this very quickly and he told me to rememberthat he was from now only going to take my first answer and that to remember andtake my time.

Pilotvessel seen from astern (he never asked for the second possibility)

VesselAground possibly over 50m

What doesL (lima) mean

Buoyage

I only got one buoy

Preferredchannel to Stbd region B – what should be the top mark. Laid down the directionarrow and I was to use the model and pass it – was heading outbound.

ROR

Placeda model in front of me and said you are on a PDV unless I tell you otherwise.

Sailingvessel port bow actions – I went to port – he asked what would change if she was PDV and why.

Tug& Tow port bow – tell me the day shapes if more than 200m, less than 200m,more than 25m in breadth, less than 25m in breadth, arc of visibility of towinglights, stern towing light.  Arc ofvisibility of RAM lights, what is the day shape for RAM, vertical spacing and size :o ooft I must admit I had to scratch my head for thatone!

Tug& Tow RAM Port bow crossing - me PDV

I amnow on CBD and you have RAM on port bow crossing actions.

All abovesituations were in open waters no TSS and no Narrow channels.

Putme as master on <3000gt and said I was approaching port and the berth wasn’tready, im told to anchor in an anchorage, what would you do on the bridge.

Okthe current is strong and there is limited space what are you going to do? Isaid either use running or standing moor. Asked the benefits of each and which Iwould choose in this situation – Running Moor.

Askedme to carry out a running moor, I got as far as dropping the first anchor andhe stopped me.

Thenthe sweat was on as I really didn’t know if I had done enough.

Ok MrPhimister you have done quite well today we will call that a PASSS! :D8)

Capt Ali makes notes on the questions he asks you throughout the exam don’t worryabout it, he tells you at the start this is what he will be doing. If you don’tgive him the information he is looking for he will guide you or ask a directquestion, He is a gentlemen to deal with and at no time did I ever feel really under pressure from him.

Thanksto Vinil and Murdo! Total breath of fresh air to Glasgow’s maritime colleges! Would recommend anyone going for orals to go to GMA!

best of luck to everyone going up!

--
September 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.